So with that, I'll stop griping and start writing about my week! After two weeks of total chaos, between my sister having an emergency C-section and my husband getting extremely sick, I'm so ready to get back to normal life. I want 2018 to be an amazing year, so I've been doing a lot of journaling and reading motivating books, and I set some goals for myself. My goals are:
- Make one new pattern to sell every two weeks
- Write in my blog at least twice a week
- Find new blogs I love and meet people who have similar interests
- STOP READING SO MUCH NEWS because it's bad for me
Along with working on my design business and my blog, I decided I needed to start sewing more frequently. I love to sew, after all, so why do I do it so infrequently? It's not like I don't have the time for it. I'm a stay at home wife/designer, so I can do a little sewing between projects or while dinner cooks.
I decided to start a new quilt to get me off on the right foot. I bought three Moda scrap bags last fall, which I just love! They're selvages with about 3 inches of fabric. So essentially, they're extremely cheap jelly rolls and as a bonus, they have lots of selvages too if you like making selvage quilts (which I do). I cut as many of the pieces into 2 1/2 strips as I could and decided to try making a strip tube quilt. My MIL bought a cool ruler and book that explains how to do it, but it's basically this: you sew a bunch a strips together, then sew those into a tube. Then you use the nifty ruler to cut it into triangles, and when you open it up, it's a neat square. Then you sew those together to make neat blocks. I discovered, though, that I already had a half square triangle ruler!
This one is really nice too because it has built in grippy bits and lots of extra lines to help you with your HST blocks.
I decided to do a really simple version of the quilt. Here's what the blocks look like.
I have just a small pile of blocks to make yet, and then I can start piecing the blocks together!
I decided this was the perfect project to help me get to know my lovely vintage Singer 301A better. She's such a fun machine!
She sews like a dream. I bought her on Shopgoodwill.com for about $60! She was pretty dirty and needed a thorough oiling and greasing. I still have a little work to do before she's up to tip top shape, but even still, she's working like a dream. Her stitches are so smooth and even, and at full speed, this machine can do 1600 stitches a minute. By the way, that's on par with my Brother PQ1500S, which cost me $650
Another cool thing about my little Singer is that, unlike older machines and even a lot of modern machines, it has a 1/4 inch marking built right into the cover plate.
I like using the marking on the machine much better than a 1/4 inch foot, but that's just a personal preference. I guess I feel like it's easier to see, and also, the line is much longer than a foot would be, so you can keep the piece of fabric on the line a lot further and not swerve off track at the beginning or end of fabric.
I guess that's all for sewing talk today. The other thing I have to report on this week is that my Aerogarden is starting to really produce a lot of lettuce!
Here's what I harvested yesterday. I harvested it on Friday, and then by Tuesday it needed to be harvested again, so this is what it grew in just FOUR days!
Alright everyone, I'd better go work on my laundry some more. I hope you're all having a great week so far!